Saturday 24 December 2011

O by golly

Yesterday, 23 December, I started preparing for Christmas.  It involved buying a bunch of food.  B will get the booze.  Prep complete.  I did not buy a single gift; mainly because I can't afford it, and even if I could afford a few gifts I certainly can't afford to send them back to the States.  The shipping would cost more than anything I bought, and while it's the thought that counts, everything counts when one has no income.  

I couldn't find the only two movies I really wanted to watch on Christmas: Love, Actually and Bridget Jones' Diary.  A Christmas Story can wait til next year (sorry, Cait - but you don't read this anyway).

I think that the whole greatness / worstness of Christmas IS the preparation.  Sure, some people like to say "Jesus is the reason for the season!" and that imbues the holiday with some extra special thoughts and feelings if you believe in it.  Of course, I would argue the real reason for the season is older than Christianity and that Christmas just got plastered over it, but whatever, it's just history.  However...really it's the building excitement / horrible breakdowns that make Christmas what it is.  I'm totally missing out now.  I have been for years.  I've removed myself from the worst ergo I don't get to experience the best.  

For now I'm ok with it.  Honestly I just want to go to parties and hang out with people and eat and drink. That's all the Christmas I need.  Maybe I'll even decorate something someday.  I admit that part of the fun of going home on Christmas is just to see how the house has been dressed up.

Merry Christmas dear reader friends.  I'm thinking of everyone I love today (and tomorrow and always).

No comments:

Post a Comment